Intro to Mobile App Development
About the course
Our Intro to Mobile App Development features eight workshops specifically designed for Freshmen and Sophomores early in CS programs. During each workshop, there are interactive hands-on sessions centered around either mobile application development or product design. One main aspect of the class is a hands-on mobile project spanning four separate weeks in which students are led through the process of gradually developing a Flash Card app from scratch for iOS or Android. In our final session, each student is grouped into a team of four to six people and responsible for designing and scoping an app idea with several deliverables.
Who should apply?
This course is for college freshmen and sophomores interested in majoring or minoring in computer science or other forms of computing related subjects.
CodePath’s mission is to increase diversity in tech by transforming college C.S. education for students who are historically underserved in the industry. This includes (but is not limited to) individuals who self-identify as Black/African American, Latinx/Hispanic, Indigenous, female/female-identifying, and students who come from low-income backgrounds or are first-generation college students. Our rolling admissions process gives priority to students from these populations, and our course is open to and free for all freshmen and sophomores. We encourage you to apply.
What experience level/s is this for? Introductory
- Admission closes on Aug 21st.
- Admission is determined on a rolling basis, with decisions released every week.
- Classes begin on September 6th
- Students must attend a 2-hour mandatory session per week.
- Students are expected to attend all sessions, weekly classes and labs.
- Students must be currently enrolled in a US college or university.
- Students must have sufficient access to a computer in order to complete coursework.
- Applicants must complete the pre-work for the course.
Schedule: Sept 6th - Nov 8th, Tuesdays from 6PM - 8PM PST
What will you learn?
Topics introduced are focused on workshops that will provide students the basics they need to design and build a technical mobile app from the ground up including:
- Core coding concepts used to build simple iOS or Android apps
- Product planning activities such as brainstorming, schema design, user stories
- Using version control (Git and Github) to store and collaborate on code
You can view our FERPA compliance policy here.